Tuesday, January 4, 2011

One Year Natural (LOTS OF PICS)

 

I waited until January to post this because I cannot remember when I actually did my big chop. I know it was in December but I don’t remember the actual date. With that being said:

I loved my perm. I really did. I got a really bad perm one day, got chemical burns, some hair fell out and the rest was history.

SANY1908SANY3340

I transitioned with braids and a sew in for 12 months. I remember trying to play with the natural hair that would slip out of the braids just to see how it was LOL!!

SANY5574SANY5575

I remember taking out my last set of braids before my big chop and I was looking in the mirror like what am I supposed to do with this?? The perm was literally dead hair and it looked STOOPID!! Sooooo…

SANY5683SANY5685

…even though I had no intention of doing it THAT DAY, I cut my hair and here I was, December ‘09 and I was in a whirlwind. I didn’t know what to do with it, like a lot of new naturals.

SANY5689SANY5705SANY572723774_410475800489_650685489_5523640_2137555_n

If I can sum up my first year natural, I would say that I was very lazy. Once I saw that my hair was easy to coil and that it looked good that’s all I did. I didn’t take the time to really learn about heat, moisture, protein etc. to really know how to care for my hair. Now that’s its been one year, this is what my hair looks like:

 

IMG_0861IMG_0867

IMG_0965

(shows damage around the hair line)

 

Damaged and I’m heart broken. I’ve done a few posts about my trials and tribulations with heat and this is the result after my first year but I’m determined to slowly trim the ends and get it together!

All in all, I'm looking forward to a better two year post because 2011 is going to be brand new for me. I’ve entered MopTop Maven’s Hair Challenge and I’m going to take better care of my mane. Here are some of my favorite hair do’s as well as some texture shots.

IMG_0925IMG_0052IMG_0775IMG_009767594_662747012623_11201564_35176160_8011264_nCoils

IMG_1080IMG_1099

IMG_0875IMG_0873

Red heart

3 comments:

ARS said...

I have no idea what to do with my hair. I'm so used to wash/dry/flat iron that I cannot get away from it. I've never been a "styler"...I'm not creative enough. I want to do things with my hair in its natural state because I love it; it's great, but I wash it then stare at myself with a complete look of confusion wondering "what the hell am I suppose to do now", and that is when the blow dryer rears its ugly head. :-( I need help too..just tired of reading blogs, trying stuff and having it look a hot mess.

-Akilah

MissGChic said...

Thanks for sharing your journey. I recently tried a coil set. Never again. It took forever, and I felt like I lost more hair than usual. What are the tricks to it?

I have somewhat documented my journey here (www.fiercebynature.blogspot.com)

Beans said...

@Akilah That's what happened to me with the coils and we need to get out of that habit! LOL! all that hair on your head?? If it looks a hot mess, get some bobby pins and make it work! LOL! Forreal! I've learned that you can make almost anything work as long as you have enough hair to pin up.

@MissGChic I hate to say that I don't have any advise but I really dont. :(. When my hair is wet, I put some cream on it, twirl in the coil motion, and it just stays. I don't have any technique. As far as losing hair when this occur? When you were putting the coils in or taking them out?