Monday, November 22, 2010

To CHI or not to CHI…

 

I’ve never been good at using a flat iron but all I’ve ever heard of using is a CHI iron. Best thing since sliced bread. NOT!! 

I purchased the Glacier Ice CHI iron from Overstock and I thought it was all good but little did I know…

CHI_41

One of the “advantages” of this flat iron is that it heats up to a fixed temperature of 302-356°F. WHO NEEDS THAT?! The worst part is that I don’t even know what to do now. I mean, what temperature is best for my hair? Now that the hair around my edges is straight, will it ever curl again?? DO I HAVE TO CUT MY HAIR ALL OVER AGAIN?!?!?! I went searching to one of my fav blogs Mop Top Maven and went searching for heat information and here’s her take on it:

DSCF0030-1New Hair Main Photo

“It is harder to regulate the temperature of plug in tools because the temperatures are preset. We often think because we can't "burn" our hair like we can with regular irons that plug-in tools are safer. While this may be true, we often can't tell the damage from plug-in tools until breakage and thinning have occurred.

For example: Let's say your trusty CHI flat iron has settings of 250, 300, 350, 400 & 450. Three hundred doesn't get your hair quite straight enough, and 350 gets it semi-straight. So you up the setting to 400 to achieve a silky-straight, sleek look. However setting your temperature to 400 might be overkill for your hair texture. You may only need something slightly higher than 350, but since your only option is 400; that is what you're stuck with. This is what I have experienced with the CHI flat iron [so I gave it away].”

She recommends using a hot comb and using the Golden Supreme Heat Tester. It allows you to test the heat of the comb EACH time and it has recommended for all hair types, which includes damaged hair.

SOURCE 1 AND SOURCE 2

Heat Tester ($80)

03

Stove  ($123.95)

elite deluxe

Combs (approx $40 for all three)

pressing_main

The (3) irons, heating stove and heat tester will run you $234.40. I know I will be purchasing the entire system……slowly LOL! I need to see how it works first. I’m no longer purchasing item that do not work.

Happy Straightening! Red lips

No comments: