Friday, October 15, 2010

Hair Are You These Days?

I was keeping this blog do document my hair at one point so I’m going to dedicate this post to show the different styles I have been wearing. I used a standard set of products on my hair and it never really varies.

Washing/Conditioning:

  • Deva Poo Shampoo – this shampoo doesn’t lather (which is why I usually use too much) but it doesn’t leave my hair feeling like a clean glass table.
  • Mixed Chicks Conditioner – At first I was like I’m 100% Negro but it turned out to be a pretty good conditioner
  • BeeMine Conditioner – My FAVORITE conditioner!!
  • Miss Jessies Baby Butter Crème – I don’t think there’s a better moisturizer but it’s expensive as hell. Every Christmas they have a buy one get one sale and the best (and only time) to get the products. It lasts so you don’t have to go broke trying to stock Miss Jessies.
  • Bee Mine Herbal Serum with Sulfur (Kiwi Strawberry) – Sulfur doesn’t bother me and this smells like strawberry kiwi with a HINT of sulfur. I bought a squirt top so I can apply it straight to my hair.

Now on to the styles:

I usually wear my hair twisted

IMG01689-20100926-2135

*Please excuse the one too many and really shouldn’t be driving look* It is INCREDIBLY time consuming but once it’s done my hand are out of my hair for at least three weeks. I am not a trained professional so I can’t really explain how I twist my hair; I just roll it around my fingers when it’s wet and it stays. I didn’t even know it had a name until someone asked me how to do it lol. It’s called a coil out. When I twist my hair I either use:

  • Miss Jessies Curly Puddy (I wish I could eat that stuff) or
  • Bee Mine Bee Hold Curly Butter – This product isn’t heavy so it usually leaves me with a frizzy look after about two weeks and I cool with that.

Here’s a link for the people who are interested in the proper way to do a “coil out”: The Proper Way to Do the Coil Out Method.

If my hair isn’t coiled, I usually blow-dry my hair and put a few slave plats in my hair and the next morning I have:

IMG_0051

This is a favorite for the older generation of men. They love to tell me stories about the days were their hair looked like this. They always say: “Leave you hair just like this; never change.” Before I blow-dry my hair I use Jane Carter leave-in conditioner and when I plat it I use Jane Carter moisturizer.

Last but not least:

IMG01601-20100918-2157

When I first got it straightened I felt so strange. I felt like I looked like everyone else and it kind of freaked me out. My hair felt too close my face and it just looked flat and dead….until I whipped my hair back and forth!! LOL! I usually just deep condition my hair, use a heat protectant (is that a word) and flat iron it.

2 comments:

Niki McNeill Brown said...

Your hair looks great!! I'm at the 1 year mark for growing mine out and so tempted to cut the rest of the ends off... but I'm holding on!! haha I wanna at least be able to make a pouf...

Beans said...

I should've waited longer. I think the ONLY reason I struggle with my hair is because I cannot make a ponytail yet! If you can hold on I say keep on transitioning!